By: Jason Karp, PhD
From the time the ancient Greek runner Pheidippides ran from Sparta to Marathon to announce the Greeks' victory in the Battle of Marathon, humans have had a compelling interest in endurance running. With over 300 marathons in the U.S. each year, and a few hundred thousand people running them, it is likely that one of your clients is interested in running a marathon. This presentation will walk you through the process of preparing your clients for a marathon, including tapering and delaying fatigue during the race.
- Identify the physiological variables associated with running a marathon.
- Identify the components of marathon training and describe how clients adapt to training each component.
- Describe the different workouts clients can do to prepare for a marathon.
- Describe tapering strategies.
- Understand how to plan a marathon training program.
- Understand how to plan a marathon taper.