This course will present evidence-based information on the importance and effect of consuming carbohydrates before, during and after exercise. The importance of type, quantity, form and timing of carbohydrate ingestion will also be reviewed. The impact of carbohydrate intake on body composition, appetite and weight management will be addressed. Participants will learn the truth about some common carbohydrate myths and learn ways to better educate their clients about carbohydrates in general.
- Describe the importance of carbohydrates for sports nutrition.
- Compare glycemic index to glycemic load.
- Explain how carbohydrates are digested and absorbed in the body.
- Explain how high fructose corn syrup affects weight gain and compare it to other sugars.
- Describe when it is appropriate to eat high GI foods and when to eat low GI foods.
- For sports nutrition, describe the factors that will affect recommended daily dosages of carbohydrates.