Did you know that when you evenly consume at least 90 grams of protein over the course of three meals per day, maximal protein synthesis is stimulated and there is a marked improvement in satiety. As a result, calorie consumption is better managed throughout the day. Plus, the muscle building properties and recovery after a workout are enhanced with appropriate protein intake. You’ll not want to miss this course as we take a closer look at protein.
- Identify five roles of dietary protein beyond muscle growth and repair.
- Explain the difference between dietary protein requirements and dietary protein needs.
- Describe the impact that standard dietary guidance in the latter part of the 20th Century had on overall disease and obesity rates in the U.S.
- Compare and contrast newer thinking regarding the impact of dietary carbohydrates versus dietary protein on whole body inflammation, obesity and cardiovascular disease (CVD) risk.
- List ways that the 2005 Dietary Guidelines differ from the 2010 Dietary Guidelines with respect to dietary protein intake.
- Describe new research indicating the differences between a more optimal dietary protein distribution pattern versus that of the “typical” American diet pattern.