Combat the adverse effects of cardiovascular disease (CVD) among your clients with a better understanding of the role nutrition plays in heart health. Review current research that explores risks associated with CVD, and the effects of serum cholesterol, hypertension and improper diet. Learn to identify the causes of atherosclerosis and hypertension, and how and why drug therapy, nutrition and exercise can reduce risks for children and adults battling CVD.
You will learn:
- To identify and define different types of cholesterol and fats, and explain their role in cardiovascular disease
- Cause, effects and risk factors for atherosclerosis including high serum cholesterol, genetics, hypertension, obesity, diabetes, gender, age and smoking
- Effects of diet on hypertension and heart disease
- Step One and Step Two diets, and principles to use in designing meal plans
- Role of exercise in promoting health, fitness and weight loss
This course is included in our Therapeutic Exercise Specialty Certification.
Learn more about how you can become a specialist. »