- 3 tablespoon red-wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoon apple juice
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- Freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 2 , preferably Fuji, peeled and cut into wedges
- 4 sprigs fresh thyme, or 1/4 teaspoon dried
- 1/4 cup chopped walnuts
- 3 cups baby spinach, or torn spinach leaves
- 3 cups torn Boston lettuce
- 3 cups torn curly endive
- 2/3 cup grated sharp Cheddar cheese
Preheat oven to 400°F.
To prepare dressing: Whisk vinegar, apple juice, 1 tablespoon oil, honey, mustard, salt and pepper in a small bowl.
To roast apples & prepare salad: Toss apples with 2 teaspoons oil and thyme in a medium bowl; spread evenly on a baking sheet. Roast, turning once or twice, until the apples are soft and golden, 25 to 30 minutes. Discard fresh thyme, if using. Let cool.
While the apples are roasting, toast walnuts in a small baking pan until fragrant, about 5 minutes. Let cool.
Just before serving, combine spinach, lettuce and endive in a large bowl; toss gently to mix. Divide the greens among 6 plates, drizzle with dressing and top with cheese, roasted apples and walnuts. Serve immediately.
- Serving: Per serving
- Calories: 191
- Carbohydrates: 14g
- Fat: 14g
- Protein: 4g
- Dietary Fiber: 4g
- Saturated Fat: 4g
- Monounsaturated Fat: 5g
- Cholesterol: 13mg
- Potassium: 230mg
- Sodium: 173mg
- Exchanges: 1 fruit, 1/2 high-fat meat, 2 fat
- Carbohydrate Servings: 1