- 1 cup tamarind concentrate, (see Note)
- 10 small dates, (about 2 1/2 ounces), pitted and coarsely chopped
- 2 tablespoon agave syrup, (see Note)
- 1 teaspoon finely grated fresh ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, divided
- Pinch-1/4 cayenne pepper, (optional)
- 2 14-ounce c water-packed firm or extra-firm tofu, drained
- 1 tablespoon grapeseed or canola oil
- 1 teaspoon curry powder
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
Preheat grill to high.
Blend tamarind concentrate, dates, agave syrup, ginger, cumin, 1/4 teaspoon salt and cayenne (if using) in a blender until smooth.
Cut each block of tofu crosswise into eight 1/2-inch-thick slices. Lightly brush each slice with oil and season on both sides with a light sprinkle of curry powder, the remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt and pepper.
Oil the grill rack (see Tip). Grill the tofu slices until golden and heated through, 2 to 3 minutes on each side. Serve hot with the tamarind chutney for dipping.
- Serving: Per serving
- Calories: 211
- Carbohydrates: 33g
- Fat: 6g
- Protein: 9g
- Dietary Fiber: 3g
- Saturated Fat: 1g
- Monounsaturated Fat: 2g
- Cholesterol: 0mg
- Potassium: 210mg
- Sodium: 158mg
- Exchanges: 2 fruit, 1 medium-fat meat
- Carbohydrate Servings: 2