- 1 cup fresh or frozen (thawed) dark sweet cherries, pitted and chopped (see Tips)
- 1/2 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1/3 cup cherry preserves
- 1/3 cup ketchup
- 2 tablespoon cider vinegar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons minced canned chipotle chiles in adobo sauce, (see Note), or more to taste
- 1 1/4 teaspoons dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
- 2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken breasts, trimmed
Stir cherries, broth, preserves, ketchup, vinegar, chipotle peppers, thyme and allspice in a small deep bowl. Transfer to a shallow nonreactive dish (see Note) large enough to hold chicken. Add chicken and turn to coat well. Cover and marinate in the refrigerator for at least 2 hours or overnight.
Preheat grill to high. Oil the grill rack (see Tip). Remove the chicken from the marinade. Transfer the marinade to a medium skillet.
Bring the marinade to a boil. Reduce heat to a simmer and cook until the sauce is reduced by about half, 12 to 15 minutes.
Meanwhile, reduce the grill heat to medium and grill the chicken until cooked through and no longer pink in the middle, 7 to 9 minutes per side. Let the chicken cool slightly; serve with the sauce.
- Serving: Per serving
- Calories: 180
- Carbohydrates: 15g
- Fat: 3g
- Protein: 24g
- Dietary Fiber: 1g
- Saturated Fat: 1g
- Monounsaturated Fat: 1g
- Cholesterol: 63mg
- Potassium: 272mg
- Sodium: 179mg
- Exchanges: 1 other carbohydrate, 3 very lean meat
- Carbohydrate Servings: 1