- 2 teaspoons peanut oil, or canola oil
- 1 large red onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- 1 tablespoon dry mustard
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1/2 cup tomato sauce
- 2 tablespoon cider vinegar
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon liquid smoke, (optional)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons honey
- Hot sauce, such as Tabasco, to taste
- 2 pounds mussels, scrubbed and debearded (see Note)
Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium heat.
Add onion and garlic. Cook, stirring frequently, until softened, 6 to 8 minutes.
Stir in paprika, dry mustard, chili powder and pepper. Cook, stirring, until fragrant, about 30 seconds.
Pour in tomato sauce, vinegar, Worcestershire, liquid smoke (if using), honey and hot sauce, stirring to scrape up any browned bits. Bring to a simmer.
Add mussels and stir to combine. Return to a simmer. Cover, reduce heat and simmer until the mussels open, 6 to 8 minutes. Stir; discard any unopened mussels before serving.
- Serving: Per serving
- Calories: 315
- Carbohydrates: 31g
- Fat: 11g
- Protein: 24g
- Dietary Fiber: 5g
- Saturated Fat: 2g
- Monounsaturated Fat: 3g
- Cholesterol: 48mg
- Potassium: 685mg
- Sodium: 792mg
- Exchanges: 1 1/2 vegetable, 1 other carbohydrate, 3 lean meat
- Carbohydrate Servings: 2