- 1 small eggplant, (about 12 ounces), cut into 1/4-inch-thick slices
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoon balsamic vinegar, divided
- 2 cloves garlic, minced, divided
- 2 large red bell peppers, roasted and sliced, or two 6-ounce jars roasted red peppers, drained, rinsed and sliced
- Freshly ground pepper to taste
- 8 1/2-inch-t Italian bread, preferably whole-grain
- 4 ounces thinly sliced capicola, (see Note)
- 1 bunch arugula, trimmed (4 cups)
Preheat grill or broiler.
Place eggplant slices in a large colander over a bowl. Sprinkle with salt and let stand for 15 minutes. Rinse well under running water and pat dry.
Brush oil lightly over both sides of the eggplant slices. Grill or broil the eggplant until tender, 3 to 4 minutes per side. Place in a bowl and toss with 1 tablespoon vinegar and half of the minced garlic.
Toss peppers in a separate bowl with the remaining 1 tablespoon vinegar and garlic. Season with pepper.
Grill or broil bread until lightly browned, 1 to 2 minutes per side.
To assemble sandwiches, layer capicola, the eggplant, the red peppers and arugula between toasted bread slices.
- Serving: Per serving
- Calories: 191
- Carbohydrates: 26g
- Fat: 6g
- Protein: 9g
- Dietary Fiber: 7g
- Saturated Fat: 1g
- Monounsaturated Fat: 3g
- Cholesterol: 15mg
- Potassium: 596mg
- Sodium: 566mg
- Exchanges: 1 starch, 2 vegetable, 1/2 lean meat, 1 fat
- Carbohydrate Servings: 1