- 1 pound fresh or frozen (not thawed) rhubarb, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon grated fresh ginger, (optional)
- 2 cups (1 pi fresh or frozen (not thawed) strawberries, hulled and halved or quartered, if larger
- 3 large egg whites, at room temperature, or equivalent dried egg whites (see Ingredient Note)
- 1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
Preheat oven to 350°F.
Stir rhubarb, sugar and ginger (if using) in a medium bowl. Divide the mixture evenly among six 8-ounce ramekins (see Variation). Place the ramekins on a baking sheet and cover tightly with foil. Bake until the rhubarb is softened, 25 to 30 minutes. Remove from the oven and remove the foil.
Carefully tuck strawberries between the chunks of rhubarb. (Do not stir or the rhubarb will break apart.)
Beat egg whites and cream of tartar in a large bowl with an electric mixer on medium until soft peaks form. Gradually add sugar and continue mixing until the egg whites are glossy and hold peaks. Spoon beaten egg whites over each portion of fruit. Use a thin spatula to spread the meringue into decorative peaks.
Return the ramekins to the oven and bake until the meringue is lightly browned, about 10 minutes. Let cool for at least 10 minutes. Serve warm or at room temperature.
Variation: This dish can be made in a deep-dish pie pan instead of individual ramekins; the recipe and timing are the same.
- Serving: Per serving
- Calories: 148
- Carbohydrates: 35g
- Fat: 0g
- Protein: 3g
- Dietary Fiber: 2g
- Saturated Fat: 0g
- Monounsaturated Fat: 0g
- Cholesterol: 0mg
- Potassium: 340mg
- Sodium: 31mg
- Exchanges: 1 fruit, 1 other carbohydrate
- Carbohydrate Servings: 2