- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 medium onions, chopped (about 1 1/2 cups)
- 1 cup short- or medium-grain brown rice, (see Ingredient note)
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 2 14-1/2-oun reduced-sodium chicken broth, or 3 1/2 cups vegetable broth
- 8 ounces asparagus, ends trimmed, cut into 1-inch pieces (2 cups)
- 1 cup sugar snap peas, or snow peas, trimmed, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 cup diced red bell pepper, (1 medium)
- 1 1/2 cups freshly grated Parmesan cheese, (3 1/2 ounces)
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh chives
- 1-2 teaspoons freshly grated lemon zest
- Freshly ground pepper, to taste
Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.
Heat oil in a Dutch oven or ovenproof high sided skillet over medium heat. Add onions and cook, stirring occasionally, until softened, 3 to 5 minutes. Stir in rice and garlic; cook, stirring, 1 to 2 minutes. Stir in wine and simmer until it has mostly evaporated. Add broth and bring to a boil. Cover the pan and transfer to the oven.
Bake until the rice is just tender, 50 minutes to 1 hour.
Shortly before the risotto is done, steam asparagus, peas and bell pepper until crisp-tender, about 4 minutes.
Fold the steamed vegetables, Parmesan, parsley, chives, lemon zest and pepper into the risotto. Serve immediately.
- Serving: Per serving
- Calories: 267
- Carbohydrates: 35g
- Fat: 8g
- Protein: 12g
- Dietary Fiber: 4g
- Saturated Fat: 3g
- Monounsaturated Fat: 3g
- Cholesterol: 11mg
- Potassium: 458mg
- Sodium: 607mg
- Exchanges: 1 1/2 starch, 1 1/3 vegetable, 1 lean protein, 1/2 fat
- Carbohydrate Servings: