- 1 ounce dried porcini mushrooms, (1 1/2 cups)
- 1 1/2 cups hot water
- 4 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 1 medium leek, trimmed, washed (see Tip) and sliced (1 cup)
- 1 cup short-grain brown rice, (see Ingredient notes)
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme, or 1 teaspoon dried
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 3 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 4 ounces cremini, or baby bella mushrooms, wiped clean, stemmed and quartered (see Ingredient notes)
- 1/2 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley, divided
- 2 teaspoons balsamic vinegar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt, or to taste
- Freshly ground pepper, to taste
Combine porcini and hot water in a small bowl. Let stand for 30 minutes. Strain, reserving the liquid. Rinse the mushrooms well under cool water; drain and chop finely. Strain the reserved liquid through a coffee filter or paper towel to remove any sand or dirt.
Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.
Heat 2 teaspoons oil in a Dutch oven or large ovenproof high-sided skillet over medium heat. Add leek and the porcini; cook, stirring often, until the leek is tender, 2 to 3 minutes. Add rice, garlic and thyme; stir to coat well. Add wine and cook until almost all evaporated, 2 to 4 minutes. Add broth and the reserved porcini liquid. Bring to a boil. Cover the pan and transfer to the oven.
Bake until the rice is just tender but still has a little resistance and a creamy consistency, 40 to 50 minutes. If the risotto seems soupy, place it on the stovetop over medium heat and simmer for a few minutes, stirring, until it reaches the desired consistency.
While the risotto is baking, heat the remaining 2 teaspoons oil in a nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add cremini and cook, stirring occasionally, until tender and browned, 5 to 7 minutes.
When the risotto is ready, stir in the cremini, Parmesan, 2 tablespoons parsley, vinegar, salt and pepper. Sprinkle the remaining parsley on top and serve immediately.
- Serving: Per serving
- Calories: 350
- Carbohydrates: 49g
- Fat: 9g
- Protein: 14g
- Dietary Fiber: 4g
- Saturated Fat: 3g
- Monounsaturated Fat: 4g
- Cholesterol: 13mg
- Potassium: 338mg
- Sodium: 419mg
- Exchanges: 3 1/2 starch, 1 1/2 vegetable, 1/2 medium-fat meat, 1 fat
- Carbohydrate Servings: 3