- 1 1/2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken thighs, trimmed
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup port, or cranberry juice cocktail, divided (see Ingredient Note)
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 3/4 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1/4 cup dried cherries, or dried cranberries
- 1/4 cup sliced pitted green olives
- 2 tablespoon red-wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
Season chicken with salt and pepper on both sides. Place flour in a shallow dish. Add chicken and turn to coat. Measure out 4 teaspoons of the flour to a small bowl and whisk in 1/4 cup port (or cranberry juice cocktail) until smooth (discard the remaining flour).
Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add the chicken and cook until browned on the outside and no longer pink in the middle, about 4 minutes per side. Transfer to a plate.
Add the remaining 1 teaspoon oil and garlic to the pan; cook, stirring, until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Add the flour-port mixture, the remaining 1/2 cup port (or juice), broth, dried cherries (or dried cranberries), olives, vinegar, brown sugar and oregano. Bring to a boil, stirring. Reduce heat to a simmer and cook, stirring occasionally, until the sauce has thickened, 4 to 6 minutes.
Return the chicken to the pan along with any accumulated juices. Turn to coat with sauce and cook until heated through, about 2 minutes. Serve the chicken with the sauce.
- Serving: Per serving
- Calories: 368
- Carbohydrates: 20g
- Fat: 15g
- Protein: 25g
- Dietary Fiber: 1g
- Saturated Fat: 3g
- Monounsaturated Fat: 8g
- Cholesterol: 86mg
- Potassium: 235mg
- Sodium: 367mg
- Exchanges: 1 carbohydrate (other), 3 lean meat, 1 fat
- Carbohydrate Servings: 1