As a nonprofit organization, the American Council on Exercise (ACE) offers professional certifications and free fitness resources to help people from all walks of life. We believe in what we do, and we want employees who do too.
We're looking for health-conscious people who have a passion for helping others live healthy lifestyles. And in return, you'll receive 100% paid employee coverage for health, dental and vision insurance, in addition to an on-site gym and a supportive workplace that encourages you to live your most fit life. Oh, and did we mention we have recess every day?
Located in beautiful San Diego, California, ACE is located just minutes from beach, mountains and deserts, and abounds in recreational opportunities and resources. With a mild, year-round climate, San Diego is a fitness enthusiasts’ paradise.
The following functions have been provided as examples of the types of work performed by employees assigned to the job classifications. Management reserves the right to add, modify, change or rescind work assignments and to make reasonable accommodations as needed.
To apply for an available position below, click on the job title to be redirected to the appropriate application.
Currently, the following positions are open at ACE:
Responsible for accounting activities such as maintaining general ledgers, preparing financial reports and statements, analytics, and staff supervision. Coordinate and perform the monthly accounting close process as well as prepare and distribute monthly financials.
- Responsible for the integrity of general ledgers.
- Provides support and supervision to Accounting staff.
- Review all accounting ledgers, transactions, audit schedules and reconciliations.
- Reviews cost center and chart of account structures. Makes recommendations as to cost center/account structure that will identify the nature of expenses to their proper area.
- Manages and coordinates the Accounting process of new product launches.
- Prepares, verifies, and controls the entering of journal entries to the general ledger.
- Evaluates subsidiary journals for obvious errors and omissions and enters corrected data into the general ledger. Performs tasks associated with the general ledger, i.e., enters monthly journal entries, executes monthly closing entries
- Interfaces with various departments to prepare monthly expense variance reports and determine monthly accruals.
- Assists with the monthly review of balance sheet and profit-and-loss statements.
- Coordinates monthly closing and production of financial statements to guarantee timely reporting.
- Participates in the annual budgeting process.
- Reviews and reconciles monthly inventory counts.
- Assists with updating the financial statements to ensure that the information reported properly reflects the company's financial position.
- Assists in reviewing and updating monthly closing procedures.
- Subsidiary Schedules: Reviews supporting schedules to ensure that the Company's accounting practices are being maintained, i.e., insurance, fixed assets, amortization of prepaid; makes recommendations where applicable.
- Reconciles state sales and use tax reports.
- Assists with daily and monthly bank statement reconciliation.
- Reconciles payroll and cash disbursement accounts.
- Reviews accounts payable aging and vendor statements for problems.
- Reviews and documents present accounting practices and procedures.
- Responsible for monthly and quarterly royalty calculations and payments.
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
- Bachelor's degree in Accounting
- 3+ years of experience in accounting
- Knowledge of accounting principles and practices
- Excellent verbal/written communication skills
- Ability to multi-task, establish priorities, and organize efficiently
- Proficient in Excel, Word, and PowerPoint
- Great Plains experience
Under the supervision of the Director of Credentialing, the Certification and Exam Registration Coordinator provides administrative support to candidates during the registration process for all ACE certifications, while working closely with ACE’s testing service provider to ensure candidate registration, reschedules, retakes and cancellations are processed accordingly. This position also assists the Certification Manager in the development of ACE exams and related processes, and collaborates with the full Credentialing team and other departments on certification-related projects and initiatives.
Required Qualifications & Abilities:
- Bachelor’s degree in exercise science, nutrition, or another allied health field
- Detail-oriented with strong analytic and organizational skills.
- Proficient in word processing and database software programs.
- Effective time management skills to attend to multiple tasks simultaneously.
- Ability to work independently with minimal supervision.
- Ability to use problem-solving techniques with regards to time-sensitive issues.
- Experience in administrative support or similar.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Experience working either in fitness, corporate wellness, or allied health, or in the certification and testing industry
- Current ACE certification or the ability to earn an ACE certification within the first six months of employment
- Bi-lingual (Spanish)
- Familiarity with the business of professional credentialing, licensure, and testing
- Master’s degree in exercise science or a related field
Essential Functions & Responsibilities:
- Efficiently process exam registrations, eligibility applications, exam site hosting applications, and data transfers.
- Track exam site availability and needs, and request additional sites and/or exam dates from testing service provider as needed.
- Assist candidates with the scheduling, rescheduling and refunds of certification exams.
- Collaboratively with all departments at ACE and testing service provider to work towards ACE certification goals.
- Work closely with testing service provider to facilitate accurate and timely exchange of data, follow-up on candidate and testing center complaints, trouble shoot exam day issues and identify and address any other issues in a timely manner.
- Answer inquiries from certification candidates, ACE certified professionals, and ACE staff regarding exam scores and certification status.
- Assist in writing and reviewing certification exam items and questions for sample tests.
- Assist in the coordination and facilitation of exam development meetings (in-person and virtual).
- Uphold disciplinary and other procedures that protect the ACE brand and ACE certifications from fraud.
- Assist Director of Credentialing and Certification Manager with the development, delivery and security of ACE exams.
- Assist in writing and editing of documents and content related to certification, exam registration, and applications and reports to accrediting organizations (e.g., NCCA, EHFA).
- Coordinate efforts to respond to fraudulent claims of ACE certification and address infractions by ACE certified professionals and exam candidates.
- Always provide good customer service to candidates, certified professionals, ACE employees, business contacts, and the public.
- Assist with other ACE programs and projects as needed.
- Maintain a commitment to, and align with, ACE mission, vision, values and programs.
Under general direction of the COO, this position will manage, coach and train the Educational Services team. This position is responsible for supporting the execution of the strategic direction of the Department, aligning the tactics with organizational goals, objectives and strategies set forth by the Executive Team related to long term retention and loyalty. This role will also oversee the development and training of the educational services team geared toward providing the highest levels of customer service.
- Advanced customer service and sales skills and documented sales success as an individual and in leading service sales teams in a call center environment.
- Minimum 3-5 years' experience leading call center team, with expertise in running an inbound and outbound sales call center, including scheduling, measuring KPIs, monitoring, QA, and making recommendations to the organization based on trends.
- Excellent verbal and written communication, leadership, presentation, negotiation, and interpersonal skills with the ability to coach others on these skills.
- Advanced ability to establish and maintain effective customer relationships that drive engagement, retention and loyalty.
- Organized, detail-oriented team player with good judgment skills.
- Proficient in word processing, spreadsheets, presentation, and database software programs (Windows, Excel, PowerPoint).
- Bachelor's Degree in Business, Organizational Leadership, or a related field.
- Current ACE Personal Trainer, Health Coach, Advanced Health and Fitness Specialist, and/or Group Fitness Instructor Certification or ability to earn one within six months.
- Knowledge of the Fitness Industry
- Oversee, coach, train and manage the call center customer service and sales team to deliver the highest levels of customer service.
- Oversee educational services sales and customer service delivery, metrics and process.
- Effectively communicate to the team on organizational strategy
- Analyze internal data and secondary research to identify trends and develop recommendations for improvement on service, sales and efficiencies.
- Identify areas of opportunity through customer feedback, trends and competitive analysis, and inform the COO to influence strategy, tactics and solutions.
- Manage Department revenue and expense budgets according to ACE guidelines.
- Ensure the team is using appropriate sales procedures, CRM systems, etc., to build business and provide strong customer service.
- Maintain current reports on partnerships, call volume and sales/forecasts and update appropriate departments.
- Maintain a commitment to and align with ACE mission, vision, values and programs, to successfully lead teams to represent ACE.
The Education and Certification Consultant acts as the primary contact for inquiries from prospective and current fitness professionals. The Education and Certification Consultant is responsible for:
- All phone, email and chat inquiries from those with an interest in becoming a fitness professional or recertifying as an ACE Pro.
- Educating customers on ACE materials and assisting in the selection of the most appropriate materials and courseware to assist a candidate prepare for certification
- Assisting existing certified professionals in the identification and selection of appropriate continuing education courseware required to maintain their certifications and advance their careers based on their areas of personal/professional interest.
REQUIRED QUALIFICATIONS AND ABILITIES
- Current ACE certification or the ability to earn one within 6 months
- Proficient in common computer software programs and willingness to learn ACE systems
- Can identify, analyze and resolve problems effectively using available resources
- Able to work independently, prioritize work, and seek assistance from management as appropriate
- Strong verbal and written communication skills
- Demonstrated leadership capabilities
- Strong organizational skills
PREFERRED QUALIFICATIONS AND ABILITIES
- Current ACE certification
- Flexible to travel to represent ACE at tradeshows
- 1+ years’ experience as a practicing fitness professional.
- Can speak intelligently regarding other certification organizations and continuing education providers
- Able to participate in/attend ACE continuing education course offerings as a condition of employment
- Able to read and interpret reports regarding sales trend
- Minimum of one year customer service/inside sales experience.
- Successful at solution-based selling.
- Bachelor’s degree in Exercise Science, Kinesiology, Fitness Management, or related field.
- Meets monthly sales quotas and goals for publications, certification and courseware through both incoming and outgoing sales calls.
- Assists current and future ACE-certified professionals in the identification and selection of materials and courseware required to meet their personal and professional career goals.
- Communicates with all ACE customers and staff in a knowledgeable, professional, courteous and efficient manner.
- Answers customer questions and fulfills information/literature requests in a timely manner
- Demonstrates an understanding of all current programs, policies and procedures and has the ability to communicate them clearly to the customer.
- Interacts with other departments to facilitate order fulfillment and ensure other processes are completed efficiently.
- Maintains accurate database information through consistent use of CRM
- Responds to peak telephone periods with sensitivity to customer hold time
- Responsible for documenting, researching and responding to customer inquires concerning products, delivery, billing, certification and other topics.
- Accurately and efficiently processes product returns.
- Process purchase orders for commercial accounts as necessary.
- Works with other departments as required, in support of the ACE Mission.
- Assists in the processing of continuing education petitions and CPR audits.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Participate in round table meetings to provide feedback to other departments.
The preceding functions have been provided as examples of the types of work performed by employees assigned to the job classifications. Management reserves the right to add, modify, change or rescind work assignments and to make reasonable accommodations as needed.