- 2 tablespoon butter
- 1 1/2 cups finely chopped onion
- 1/2 cup minced prosciutto, (2 ounces)
- 2 cups whole-wheat pastry flour
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh rosemary
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1 cup nonfat buttermilk
- 2 large eggs
- 2 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
Preheat oven to 400°F. Coat 12 (1/2-cup) muffin cups with cooking spray.
Melt butter in a large skillet over medium heat. Add onion and cook, stirring, until golden, about 5 minutes. Stir in prosciutto and cook, stirring, for 2 minutes. Remove from the heat.
Whisk flour, rosemary, baking powder, baking soda, salt and pepper in a large bowl until combined. Whisk buttermilk, eggs and oil in a medium bowl until blended.
Fold the onion mixture and buttermilk mixture into the dry ingredients with a rubber spatula until evenly moistened. Divide the batter among the prepared muffin cups.
Bake the muffins until lightly browned and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean, 18 to 20 minutes. Serve warm.
- Serving: Per muffin
- Calories: 149
- Carbohydrates: 18g
- Fat: 6g
- Protein: 5g
- Dietary Fiber: 2g
- Saturated Fat: 2g
- Monounsaturated Fat: 2g
- Cholesterol: 44mg
- Potassium: 41mg
- Sodium: 357mg
- Exchanges: 1 starch, 1 fat
- Carbohydrate Servings: 1