- 2 tablespoon plain dry breadcrumbs
- 4 large eggs
- 1 1/4 cups 1% milk
- 1/2 teaspoon hot sauce, such as
- 1/4 teaspoon salt, or to taste
- Freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 2 cups cubed whole-wheat country bread, (about 2 slices, crusts removed)
- 3 cups broccoli florets
- 2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 cup grated Monterey Jack, or part-skim mozzarella cheese (4 ounces)
Preheat oven to 350°F. Coat a 9-inch deep-dish pie pan (6-cup capacity) with cooking spray. Add breadcrumbs, tilting to coat bottom and sides.
Whisk eggs, milk, hot sauce, salt and pepper in a large bowl. Add bread and stir to coat. Set aside in the refrigerator.
Steam broccoli until just tender, 3 to 4 minutes. Refresh under cold water and drain well. Chop coarsely.
Heat oil in a medium nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add onion; cook, stirring often, until softened and light golden, 3 to 5 minutes. Add onion mixture and broccoli to the egg mixture; stir in cheese. Pour into the prepared pan, spreading evenly.
Bake the pie until light golden and set, 45 to 50 minutes. Let cool slightly, cut into wedges and serve.
- Serving: Per serving
- Calories: 226
- Carbohydrates: 14g
- Fat: 12g
- Protein: 13g
- Dietary Fiber: 3g
- Saturated Fat: 5g
- Monounsaturated Fat: 3g
- Cholesterol: 164mg
- Potassium: 205mg
- Sodium: 341mg
- Exchanges: 1/2 starch, 1 vegetable, 1 1/2 medium-fat protein, 1 fat
- Carbohydrate Servings: 1