Farrotto with Artichokes
Here farro stands in for rice in a risotto-like dish, full of tomatoes, artichokes and fresh basil.
Nutirion Profile: Diabetes Appropriate Healthy Weight Heart Healthy High Fiber Low Calorie Low Cholesterol Low Sat Fat
- 1 1/2 cups farro, rinsed (see Tip)
- 1 leaf fresh sage
- 1 sprig fresh rosemary
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 cup finely chopped onion
- 1 teaspoon finely chopped garlic
- 1 15-ounce c diced tomatoes, drained well
- 1 10-ounce b frozen artichoke hearts, thawed and coarsely chopped
- 1/4 cup torn fresh basil leaves
- 1/2 teaspoon coarse salt
- Freshly ground pepper, to taste
- Pinch of crushed red pepper
- 1 1/2 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth, vegetable broth or water
- 1/2 cup grated Pecorino Romano cheese, divided
- 1 teaspoon freshly grated lemon zest
Place farro in a large saucepan and cover with about 2 inches of water. Add sage and rosemary. Bring to a boil; reduce the heat and simmer, uncovered, until the farro is tender but still firm to the bite, 20 to 30 minutes. Remove the herbs and drain.
Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add onion and cook, stirring, until soft and beginning to brown, 3 to 5 minutes. Add garlic and cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Stir in the farro, tomatoes, artichokes, basil, salt, pepper and crushed red pepper.
Add 1/2 cup broth (or water), bring a boil over medium heat and cook, stirring, until most of the broth is absorbed. Repeat with the remaining broth (or water), adding it in 1/2-cup increments and stirring until it’s absorbed, until the farro is creamy but still has a bit of bite, about 10 minutes total. Stir in 1/4 cup cheese and lemon zest. Serve sprinkled with the remaining 1/4 cup cheese.
- Serving: Per serving
- Calories: 264
- Carbohydrates: 43g
- Fat: 7g
- Protein: 11g
- Dietary Fiber: 8g
- Saturated Fat: 2g
- Monounsaturated Fat: 2g
- Cholesterol: 9mg
- Potassium: 168mg
- Sodium: 530mg
- Exchanges: 2 starch, 2 vegetable, 1 fat
- Carbohydrate Servings: 2
Get in the Know
Stay connected with us to get the latest health and fitness news, innovative workouts, healthy recipes and wellness tips.