Farrotto with Artichokes
Here farro stands in for rice in a risotto-like dish, full of tomatoes, artichokes and fresh basil.
Nutirion Profile: Diabetes Appropriate Healthy Weight Heart Healthy High Fiber Low Calorie Low Cholesterol Low Sat Fat
- 1 1/2 cups farro, rinsed (see Tip)
- 1 leaf fresh sage
- 1 sprig fresh rosemary
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 cup finely chopped onion
- 1 teaspoon finely chopped garlic
- 1 15-ounce c diced tomatoes, drained well
- 1 10-ounce b frozen artichoke hearts, thawed and coarsely chopped
- 1/4 cup torn fresh basil leaves
- 1/2 teaspoon coarse salt
- Freshly ground pepper, to taste
- Pinch of crushed red pepper
- 1 1/2 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth, vegetable broth or water
- 1/2 cup grated Pecorino Romano cheese, divided
- 1 teaspoon freshly grated lemon zest
Place farro in a large saucepan and cover with about 2 inches of water. Add sage and rosemary. Bring to a boil; reduce the heat and simmer, uncovered, until the farro is tender but still firm to the bite, 20 to 30 minutes. Remove the herbs and drain.
Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add onion and cook, stirring, until soft and beginning to brown, 3 to 5 minutes. Add garlic and cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Stir in the farro, tomatoes, artichokes, basil, salt, pepper and crushed red pepper.
Add 1/2 cup broth (or water), bring a boil over medium heat and cook, stirring, until most of the broth is absorbed. Repeat with the remaining broth (or water), adding it in 1/2-cup increments and stirring until it’s absorbed, until the farro is creamy but still has a bit of bite, about 10 minutes total. Stir in 1/4 cup cheese and lemon zest. Serve sprinkled with the remaining 1/4 cup cheese.
- Serving: Per serving
- Calories: 264
- Carbohydrates: 43g
- Fat: 7g
- Protein: 11g
- Dietary Fiber: 8g
- Saturated Fat: 2g
- Monounsaturated Fat: 2g
- Cholesterol: 9mg
- Potassium: 168mg
- Sodium: 530mg
- Exchanges: 2 starch, 2 vegetable, 1 fat
- Carbohydrate Servings: 2
Let's move together
at IDEA® World 2018
Attend the ACE Mover Academy and enjoy thought-provoking sessions presented by leading health and fitness experts.
Get in the Know
Stay connected with us to get the latest health and fitness news, innovative workouts, healthy recipes and wellness tips.