Grilled Corn Salad with Black Beans & Rice
Southwestern flavors star in this potluck-perfect salad.
Nutirion Profile: Gluten Free Diet Heart Healthy High Fiber High Potassium Low Cholesterol Low Sat Fat Low Sodium
- 2/3 cup short-grain brown rice
- 1 15-ounce c black beans, rinsed
- 3 large ears corn, husked
- 2 medium red onions, cut into 3/8-inch-thick slices
- 1 green bell pepper, cored and quartered lengthwise
- 1 small ripe avocado
- 1/2 cup hot tomato salsa, preferably chipotle
- 1/2 cup orange juice
- 1/3 cup lime juice
- 3 tablespoon chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- Salt & freshly ground pepper, to taste
- Baked tortilla chips, (optional)
Cook rice in a large pot of boiling salted water, until al dente, 25 to 30 minutes. Drain and rinse. Place in a large bowl, toss with beans and set aside.
Meanwhile, preheat grill.
Oil the grill rack (see Tip). Grill corn, onions and bell pepper, turning frequently, until tender and charred, 10 to 12 minutes.
Cut kernels from cobs (see Tip) and add to reserved rice and beans. Dice the bell pepper and half the onions; add to the rice mixture. Place the remaining onions in a mixing bowl. Peel and dice avocado; add half to rice mixture and half to the bowl with sliced onions.
Whisk salsa, orange juice, lime juice, cilantro, oil and cumin in a small bowl. Season with salt and pepper. Toss 3 tablespoons of the salsa mixture with sliced onions and avocado. Toss the rest with rice mixture.
Spoon rice mixture onto a serving dish and top with onion-avocado mixture. Serve with chips, if desired.
- Serving: Per serving
- Calories: 421
- Carbohydrates: 72g
- Fat: 11g
- Protein: 13g
- Dietary Fiber: 12g
- Saturated Fat: 1g
- Monounsaturated Fat: 5g
- Cholesterol: 0mg
- Potassium: 779mg
- Sodium: 275mg
- Exchanges: 4 starch, 1 vegetable, 1 very lean meat, 2 fat
- Carbohydrate Servings: 4
Lead the fight against diabetes Save Now
Get in the Know
Stay connected with us to get the latest health and fitness news, innovative workouts, healthy recipes and wellness tips.