Interested in spicing up your workout this holiday season? Try this quick 30-minute indoor workout that will have you kicking and punching your way to your health and fitness goals. Note: this workout is vigorous, so having previous experience with high-intensity cardiovascular drills is recommended.
This workout alternates high-intensity cardiovascular drills with strength exercises to provide you with a fun total-body workout. It consists of three rounds, each consisting of five exercises that are done consecutively. Perform each round twice before moving onto the next round. Complete each exercise for 50 seconds followed by a 10-second rest to prepare for the next exercise. The only equipment you need is a pair of light- to moderate-sized dumbbells.
Kickboxing Moves Used in This Workout
- Jab: Start with fists by the chin. Extend the lead hand straight out to the front, aiming with the first two knuckles of the fist. Keep the elbow slightly bent so the joint is not locked. Pull the hand back to starting position.
- Front kick: Start with fists by the chin and feet positioned hip-distance apart. Lift the right knee toward the chest and extend the knee to kick to the front, aiming with the ball of the foot. Return the leg quickly by bending the knee and placing the foot on the floor. Repeat on the other side.
- Side kick: Start with fists by the chin and feet hip-distance apart. Lift the right knee toward the chest, keeping the right foot flexed. Extend the right foot out to the side, aiming with the heel (the toes are pointing down toward the floor). The base foot should pivot so that the toes are pointing away from the direction of the kick. Return quickly by pulling the right knee toward the chest and placing the foot on the floor. Repeat on the other side.
- Round kick: Lift the right knee and turn the base foot (left foot) away from the direction you are kicking. Try to make the right leg parallel to the floor with the heel pulling toward the glute and the knee pointing toward the kicking target. Extend the right knee to perform the kick. Point the right foot so that the top of the foot (instep) would make contact with the target.
High-Intensity Kickboxing Workout Routine
Warm-up (5–10 minutes) – Complete each warm-up exercise for 30-60 seconds.
- Light jog
- Alternating high knees
- Easy side-to-side shuffles (right and left)
- Jump rope
- Light jumping jacks
- Alternating reverse lunges
- Alternating reverse lunges with a knee
- Inchworms with an added push-up
Round 1 (2x through, 50 seconds per exercise)
- 4 jumping jacks + 4 jabs: Do 4 jumping jacks followed by 4 jabs with the right hand. Repeat on the other side.
- Lunge + front kick: Start with the right leg forward. Do one lunge followed by a left front kick and repeat. Stay on one side for the first time through and switch to the other side when the round is repeated.
- Three shuffles + burpee: Do three shuffles to the right followed by one burpee and repeat moving left.
- Squat + side kick: Perform one squat followed by a side kick with the right leg, then perform one squat followed by a side kick with the left leg.
- High knees: Alternate high knees as fast as possible.
Round 2 (2x through, 50 seconds per exercise)
- Burpee + 8 punches: Do one burpee followed by 8 fast punches (jabs) to the front, alternating hands.
- Push-up + alternating knees: Do one push-up and then hold plank position as you pull the right knee toward the chest followed by the left knee.
- Power squats: Jump legs wide into a squat and then jump the legs together.
- Single-leg deadlift + knee: Balance on the right foot with the left leg lifted throughout the entire exercise. Hinge at the hips to lower the upper body until it is about parallel to the floor while simultaneously lifting the left leg. Return to an upright position and draw the left knee toward the chest. Stay on one side for the first time through the round and switch to other side when the round is repeated.
- Mountain climbers: Perform mountain climbers as fast as possible while maintaining good form.
Round 3 (2x through, 50 seconds per exercise)
- Round kicks: Do as many round kicks as possible, being careful not to compromise form for speed. Stay on one side for the first time through the round and switch to other side when the round is repeated.
- Triceps push-ups: Start on the knees or toes with the wrists under the shoulders. Lower the upper body down to the floor, keeping the elbows tight to the body. Return to the starting position and repeat.
- Punch-out: Start with legs a little wider than shoulder-width apart. Alternate right and left punches to the front as fast as possible.
- Plié squats + biceps curls: Perform one plié squat followed by one biceps curl as you come out of the squat.
- Jumping jacks/star jacks: Do jumping jacks or star jacks.