According to the National Diabetes Information Clearinghouse, 20% of the US population over age 60 and 10% of those over age 20 had diabetes in 2005 – and that number is steadily growing. With the increasing prevalence of obesity and diabetes, personal trainers are more likely to have clients with this chronic disease. This course will help you understand how to work safely and effectively with persons diagnosed with either type 1 or type 2 diabetes. Learn how:
- diabetes affects the body,
- acute and regular exercise impacts metabolic function and overall health in individuals with diabetes,
- to prevent and manage the unique risks associated with exercise in this population,
- to design a safe and effective aerobic and strength training program.
- Understand the basic pathophysiology of diabetes.
- Discuss the short- term and long- term benefits of exercise in the management of diabetes
- Describe the elements of a cardiovascular and strength training program for individuals with type 1 and type 2 diabetes.
- Identify prevention and response strategies to hypoglycemia and other risks of exercise for individuals with diabetes
Course contents include:
Steps to completing this course
- Go to http://www.acefitness.org/acestore and log in.
- Click on "Online Learning Courses" in the "My Account" section.
- Choose your course and complete as necessary.
- After successful completion of the quiz your CECs will automatically be added to your ACE account.
Please note: This online only course does not include a book/DVD/CD. You will not receive any additional items by mail when making your purchase.
|Recommended System Specifications
|The ACE Online Learning courses are designed for the best experience using a system that meets the following specifications:
|*All pop up blockers should be disabled (includes Yahoo! and Google toolbars)