This course, which is based on a chapter from the second edition of ACE’s Exercise for Older Adults, focuses on the major chronic health problems experienced by older adults. Following an explanation of the development of health problems in the elderly, Dr. Rimmer describes the symptoms of various cardiovascular disorders, respiratory problems, musculoskeletal conditions, metabolic disorders, neurological disorders, and visual and auditory disorders, and provides exercise guidelines when appropriate. Finally, the exercise-related issues of some common medications are also discussed.
- Explain the symptoms of common health challenges faced by older adults, including coronary artery disease, hypertension, and diabetes
- Offer exercise recommendations to older adults facing health challenges when appropriate
- Explain the symptoms of specific neurological disorders and provide exercise guidelines to individuals with these disorders
- List medications commonly taken by older adults and identify their effects on exercise
Course contents include:
Steps to completing this course
- Go to http://www.acefitness.org/acestore and log in.
- Click on "Online Learning Courses" in the "My Account" section.
- Choose your course and complete as necessary.
- After successful completion of the quiz your CECs will automatically be added to your ACE account.
Please note:This online only course does not include a book/DVD/CD. You will not receive any additional items by mail when making your purchase.
The content of this course is contained within ACE’s Exercise for Older Adults book and correspondence course.
- If you have already purchased that course—even if you have not yet submitted it for CECs—you will be unable to earn CECs for completion of this online course and should not make this purchase.
- If you have already purchased that book, you may move ahead with this purchase, or click here to purchase the complete correspondence course.
|Recommended System Specifications
|The ACE Online Learning courses are designed for the best experience using a system that meets the following specifications:
|*All pop up blockers should be disabled (includes Yahoo! and Google toolbars)