Explore the long discussion surrounding genetically modified (GM) foods and how technological advances have affected what we put into our bodies – from irradiation, genetic modification, nutrient fortification, fertilizers, pesticides, additives and preservatives. Discover the benefits of such advances including the end of famine, improved food safety and what some have deemed a more abundant future. Learn to explain to your clients the risks and benefits of pest and microbe control, food fortification and additives that may impact the nutritional content and safety of their food.
You will learn:
- Relationship among nutrition, health, food and agriculture
- To distinguish between concepts of absolute risk, acceptable risk and risk vs. benefit
- Current information about organic food including nutrition, taste, safety and understanding new USDA national standards for labeling of organic foods
- Debates regarding genetically modified foods, and pros and cons of select arguments
- Regulatory procedures of nutrients, antimicrobials, antioxidants, artificial colors and flavors, and controversial health and safety issues of iron, nitrates, BHA and BHT, sulfites and human intolerance of additives and preservatives
- How pesticides are used in food production