Cornell McClellan, President’s Council on Physical Fitness, Sports and Nutrition member, applauded fitness professionals for their huge efforts in giving back to our National Guard, activated military reservists and their families by supporting Joining Forces.
ACE’s commitment to unite fitness professionals nationwide and pledge 1 million hours of free personal training, small-group training or group fitness sessions to service members and their families recently hit a major milestone. Fitness professionals and organizations have pledged more than 102,000 fitness service hours. McClellan encouraged all fitness professionals to do their part by supporting Joining Forces.
“I’m here today to say that ACE and its members stepped up to the plate and I mean in the hugest way,” McClellan said.
McClellan, a special guest speaker at the 2011 ACE Fitness Symposium, shared anecdotes about serving as the fitness trainer to the First Family and other White House staff members. Despite his many commitments, McClellan still finds time for new ways to support our country’s service members and their families as an active member of the President’s Council.
He outlined the following ongoing actions taken by the President’s Council in support of Joining Forces and other initiatives to make healthy living a part of every American’s life, encouraging others to get involved as well:
• Participating in community outreach events and holding meetings with military members to tell them about their exclusive access to free fitness services
• Leveraging social media to reach out to military members and inform them of ACE’s commitment to support them
• Educating and empowering parents and caregivers to teach children about the importance of physical activity and healthy eating
• Encouraging parents to spend more active, quality time with their children
• Openly supporting national outreach initiatives, such as Let’s Move! and Joining Forces, plus ACE’s ongoing efforts to eradicate the nation’s obesity epidemic
• Motivate all sectors of society to do their part to eliminate childhood obesity within a generation, given that one in three American children are now overweight or obese
• Encouraging Joining Forces members and participants and the public at large to join The President’s Challenge, an initiative to promote physical activity and healthy eating
• Motivating all fitness professionals to follow his lead by adopting a military family and help them achieve and maintain healthy living.
• Take advantage of ACE’s Fitness Professional Resources to be the best trainer you can be