- 2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup finely chopped onion
- 1 3-inch cinnamon stick
- 3/4 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup brown basmati or long-grain brown rice
- 2 3/4 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth, or vegetable broth
- 2 tablespoon hulled pumpkin seeds
- 1 cup fresh corn kernels, (from 2 ears) or frozen
Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add onion and cook, stirring often, until lightly browned, about 3 minutes. Add cinnamon stick, cumin seeds, cardamom, salt and rice; cook, stirring often, until spices are fragrant, about 1 minute.
Stir in broth and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low; cover and simmer until the liquid is absorbed and the rice is tender, 35 to 40 minutes.
Meanwhile, toast pumpkin seeds in a small dry skillet over medium-low heat, stirring constantly, until fragrant, 1 to 2 minutes. Transfer to a bowl to cool.
When the rice is ready, stir in corn, cover and cook until heated through, about 5 minutes. Remove the cinnamon stick. Fluff the pilaf with a fork and fold in the toasted pumpkin seeds.
- Serving: Per serving
- Calories: 129
- Carbohydrates: 22g
- Fat: 3g
- Protein: 4g
- Dietary Fiber: 2g
- Saturated Fat: 1g
- Monounsaturated Fat: 2g
- Cholesterol: 2mg
- Potassium: 80mg
- Sodium: 126mg
- Exchanges: 11/2 starch, 1/2 fat (mono)
- Carbohydrate Servings: 1 1/2