- 3 medium red bell peppers
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 8 ounces kale, (6 cups lightly packed), trimmed
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1/2 cup chopped red bell pepper
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 3/4 cup cooked short-grain brown rice, (see Tip)
- 1/2 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/4 cup toasted pine nuts, divided (see Tip)
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
To prepare peppers: Preheat oven to 400°F. Halve peppers lengthwise through the stems, leaving them attached. Remove the seeds. Lightly brush the peppers outside and inside with oil; sprinkle the insides with salt and pepper. Place, cut-side down, in a 9-by-13-inch baking dish. Bake until peppers are just tender, 10 to 15 minutes. Let cool slightly. Turn cut-side up.
To prepare filling: Bring 2 cups salted water to a boil in a large wide pan. Stir in kale, cover and cook until tender, 10 to 12 minutes. Drain, rinse under cold water; squeeze dry. Finely chop.
Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add onion and chopped bell pepper; cook, stirring often, until onion is golden, 6 to 8 minutes. Add garlic and cook, stirring, for 30 seconds. Stir in the kale. Remove from the heat and let cool slightly. Stir in rice, Parmesan, 2 tablespoons pine nuts and lemon juice. Season with salt and pepper. Divide the filling among the pepper halves. Sprinkle with the remaining 2 tablespoons pine nuts.
Add 2 tablespoons water to the baking dish. Cover the peppers with foil and bake until heated through, 15 to 20 minutes. Uncover and bake for 5 minutes more. Serve hot.
- Serving: Per serving
- Calories: 171
- Carbohydrates: 15g
- Fat: 11g
- Protein: 5g
- Dietary Fiber: 3g
- Saturated Fat: 2g
- Monounsaturated Fat: 5g
- Cholesterol: 6mg
- Potassium: 899mg
- Sodium: 304mg
- Exchanges: 1/2 starch, 1 1/2 vegetable, 1/2 medium-fat meat, 1 1/2 fat
- Carbohydrate Servings: 1