- 3 tablespoon fish sauce, (see Note)
- 3 tablespoon lime juice
- 4 teaspoons brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1 pound flank steak, thinly sliced against the grain
- 1 teaspoon canola oil
- 6 tablespoon reduced-fat mayonnaise
- 3 12-inch baguettes, cut in half and split horizontally
- 2 small carrots, shredded or cut into matchsticks
- 1/2 small cucumber, cut into thin spears
- 1/2 cup shredded peeled daikon radish
- 3 scallions, trimmed and thinly sliced
- 1/3 cup coarsely chopped fresh cilantro
Preheat grill to high.
Whisk fish sauce, lime juice, brown sugar and pepper in a shallow dish until the sugar dissolves. Set aside 2 tablespoons of the sauce in a small bowl for Step 4.
Place steak in a medium bowl, add oil and toss to coat. Oil the grill rack (see Tip). Grill the steak slices, turning once, until cooked through, 3 to 4 minutes total. Transfer to the dish with the marinade, stir to coat and refrigerate for 15 minutes or up to 8 hours.
To assemble sandwiches: Add mayonnaise to the reserved sauce and stir to combine. Spread the mixture on baguettes, top with the marinated steak, carrots, cucumber, daikon, scallions and cilantro. Slice the sandwiches in half.
- Serving: Per serving
- Calories: 366
- Carbohydrates: 50g
- Fat: 9g
- Protein: 28g
- Dietary Fiber: 8g
- Saturated Fat: 3g
- Monounsaturated Fat: 2g
- Cholesterol: 31mg
- Potassium: 314mg
- Sodium: 733mg
- Exchanges: 3 starch, 1 vegetable, 2 lean meat
- Carbohydrate Servings: 3