- 3 ounces unsweetened chocolate, chopped
- 3/4 cup cake flour, (see Ingredient note)
- 3/4 cup whole-wheat pastry flour
- 1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3 large eggs, at room temperature, separated
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar, divided
- 1/3 cup packed light brown sugar
- 5 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup 1% milk
- 1/3 cup heavy cream
- 3 tablespoon confectioners’ sugar
- 1/3 cup reduced-fat sour cream
- 1 tablespoon amaretto, or 1/4 teaspoon almond extract
To prepare cake: Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Coat a 9-by-13-inch glass baking dish with cooking spray with flour. Alternatively, spray the pan with regular cooking spray, dust with flour and tap out the excess.
Melt chocolate in the microwave on Medium in 30-second bursts, stirring after each burst to ensure even melting, until completely melted. (Alternatively, melt the chocolate in a double boiler over hot water, stirring constantly.) Set aside.
Whisk cake flour, whole-wheat flour, cocoa, baking powder, cinnamon and salt in a medium bowl. Set aside.
Beat egg whites in a clean medium bowl with an electric mixer on high speed until soft peaks form. Beat in 1/4 cup granulated sugar in a slow, steady stream. Continue beating until stiff peaks form.
Beat the remaining 1/2 cup granulated sugar, brown sugar and oil in a large bowl on medium speed until combined. Beat in egg yolks one at a time, then melted chocolate and vanilla, scraping down the sides of the bowl as necessary, until combined.
Add 1/2 cup milk to the egg-yolk mixture, beating on low speed, then add half the flour mixture. Beat in the remaining 1/2 cup milk, then the remaining flour mixture just until combined. Fold in the whites with a spatula, using long, even strokes. Scrape the batter into the prepared pan, spreading evenly to the edges.
Bake until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out with a few moist crumbs attached, 25 to 30 minutes. Cool on a wire rack for at least 1 hour.
To prepare almond cream: Beat cream and confectioners' sugar in a medium bowl with an electric mixer on medium-high speed until the mixture is the consistency of sour cream, about 1 minute. Add sour cream, amaretto (or almond extract), vanilla and cinnamon; beat to combine. Serve the cake with the almond cream.