- 4 large egg whites
- 4 large eggs
- 1 cup skim milk
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon freshly grated orange zest
- 4 cups whole-grain bread, crusts removed if desired, cut into 1-inch cubes (about 1/2 pound, 4-6 slices)
- 2 cups roughly broken gingersnaps
- 2 cups quartered strawberries, fresh or frozen (thawed)
- 1 cup diced rhubarb
- 1/4 cup chopped walnuts, lightly toasted (see Tip)
Preheat oven to 375°F. Coat an 11-by-7-inch glass baking dish or a 2-quart casserole with cooking spray.
To prepare custard: Whisk egg whites, eggs and milk in a medium bowl. Add sugar, vanilla and orange zest: whisk to combine.
Toss bread, gingersnaps, strawberries, rhubarb and 1/4 cup walnuts in a large bowl. Add the custard and toss well to coat. Transfer to the prepared baking dish and push down to compact. Cover with foil.
Bake until the custard has set, 40 to 45 minutes. Uncover, sprinkle with 1/4 cup walnuts (or Streusel Topping) and continue baking until the pudding is puffed and golden on top, 15 to 20 minutes more. Transfer to a wire rack and cool for 15 to 20 minutes before serving.
- Serving: Per serving
- Calories: 320
- Carbohydrates: 46g
- Fat: 10g
- Protein: 11g
- Dietary Fiber: 4g
- Saturated Fat: 2g
- Monounsaturated Fat: 3g
- Cholesterol: 106mg
- Potassium: 374mg
- Sodium: 334mg
- Exchanges: 1 starch, 2 other carbohydrates, 2 fat
- Carbohydrate Servings: 3