- 4 large egg whites
- 4 large eggs
- 1 cup skim milk
- 2 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1/2 cup sliced fresh basil
- 4 cups whole-grain bread, crusts removed if desired, cut into 1-inch cubes (about 1/2 pound, 4-6 slices)
- 5 cups chopped arugula, wilted (see Tip)
- 3/4 cup chopped artichoke hearts, frozen (thawed) or canned
- 1 cup diced cooked chicken sausage, (5 ounces)
- 3/4 cup shredded fontina cheese
Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Coat an 11-by-7-inch glass baking dish or a 2-quart casserole with cooking spray.
To prepare custard: Whisk egg whites, eggs and milk in a medium bowl. Add mustard, salt, pepper and basil: whisk to combine.
Toss bread, arugula, artichokes and sausage in a large bowl. Add the custard and toss well to coat. Transfer to the prepared baking dish and push down to compact. Cover with foil.
Bake until the custard has set, 40 to 45 minutes. Uncover, sprinkle with cheese and continue baking until the pudding is puffed and golden on top, 15 to 20 minutes more. Transfer to a wire rack and cool for 15 to 20 minutes before serving.
- Serving: Per serving
- Calories: 272
- Carbohydrates: 24g
- Fat: 11g
- Protein: 20g
- Dietary Fiber: 5g
- Saturated Fat: 4g
- Monounsaturated Fat: 3g
- Cholesterol: 174mg
- Potassium: 435mg
- Sodium: 696mg
- Exchanges: 1 starch, 1 vegetable, 2 medium-fat meat
- Carbohydrate Servings: 1