- 1 20-ounce c crushed pineapple
- 2 cups whole-wheat pastry flour, (see Ingredient Note)
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 3 large eggs
- 1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
- 3/4 cup nonfat buttermilk, (see Tip)
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups grated carrots, (4-6 medium)
- 1/4 cup unsweetened flaked coconut
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts, toasted (see Tip)
- 12 ounces reduced-fat cream cheese, (Neufchâtel), softened
- 1/2 cup confectioners’ sugar, sifted
- 2 tablespoon coconut chips, (see Ingredient Note) or flaked coconut, toasted
To prepare cake: Preheat oven to 350°F. Coat a 9-by-13-inch baking pan with cooking spray.
Drain pineapple in a sieve set over a bowl, pressing on the solids. Reserve the drained pineapple and 1/4 cup of the juice.
Whisk flour, baking soda, salt and cinnamon in a medium bowl. Whisk eggs, sugar, buttermilk, oil, vanilla and the 1/4 cup pineapple juice in a large bowl until blended. Stir in pineapple, carrots and 1/4 cup coconut. Add the dry ingredients and mix with a rubber spatula just until blended. Stir in the nuts. Scrape the batter into the prepared pan, spreading evenly.
Bake the cake until the top springs back when touched lightly and a skewer inserted in the center comes out clean, 40 to 45 minutes. Let cool completely on a wire rack.
To prepare frosting & finish cake: Beat cream cheese, confectioners’ sugar and vanilla in a mixing bowl with an electric mixer until smooth and creamy. Spread the frosting over the cooled cake. Sprinkle with toasted coconut.
- Serving: Per serving
- Calories: 342
- Carbohydrates: 43g
- Fat: 17g
- Protein: 6g
- Dietary Fiber: 3g
- Saturated Fat: 5g
- Monounsaturated Fat: 7g
- Cholesterol: 56mg
- Potassium: 353mg
- Sodium: 349mg
- Exchanges: 2 1/2 other carbohydrate, 1/2 vegetable, 3 fat
- Carbohydrate Servings: 3