- 2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 cups frozen pepper stir-fry vegetables
- 1 teaspoon coriander seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon caraway seeds
- Pinch of salt
- 1/4 teaspoon paprika, plus more for sprinkling
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 28-ounce c diced tomatoes
- 1 19-ounce o chickpeas, rinsed
- Freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 4 large eggs
Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add stir-fry vegetables; cook, stirring occasionally, until most of the liquid has evaporated, 5 to 7 minutes.
Meanwhile, grind coriander seeds, caraway seeds and salt coarsely in a spice mill, a dry blender or in a mortar and pestle. Transfer to a small bowl and stir in 1/4 teaspoon paprika and cayenne.
Add garlic and the spice mixture to the skillet; cook, stirring, for 30 seconds. Add tomatoes and chickpeas; bring to a simmer. Reduce heat to medium and cook at a lively simmer until slightly thickened, 10 to 15 minutes. Season with pepper.
Break eggs into separate quadrants of the stew, taking care not to break the yolks. Reduce heat to medium-low, cover the skillet and cook until the eggs are set, 5 to 7 minutes. Sprinkle eggs with paprika. Carefully transfer an egg and some stew to each plate.
Fresh-vegetable variation: In Step 1, cook 1 medium sliced onion for about 2 minutes; add 2 diced bell peppers and cook for 3 to 5 minutes more. In Step 3, add 3 diced seeded tomatoes.
- Serving: Per serving
- Calories: 277
- Carbohydrates: 43g
- Fat: 9g
- Protein: 15g
- Dietary Fiber: 9g
- Saturated Fat: 2g
- Monounsaturated Fat: 4g
- Cholesterol: 212mg
- Potassium: 300mg
- Sodium: 641mg
- Exchanges: 1 1/2 starch, 2 vegetable, 1 1/2 lean protein, 1 fat
- Carbohydrate Servings: 1 1/2