- 2/3 cup bottled clam juice, or reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic, divided
- 3 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 1/4-1 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 1 pound raw shrimp, (21-25 per pound), peeled and deveined (see Ingredient note)
- 1/4 teaspoon salt, divided
- 4 cups broccoli florets
- 2/3 cup water
- 2 tablespoon chopped fresh basil, or parsley
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- Freshly ground pepper, to taste
- Lemon wedges
Combine clam juice (or broth), cornstarch and half the garlic in a small bowl; whisk until smooth. Set aside.
Heat 1 1/2 teaspoons oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add the remaining garlic and crushed red pepper to taste; cook, stirring, until fragrant but not browned, about 30 seconds. Add shrimp and 1/8 teaspoon salt. Saute until the shrimp are pink, about 3 minutes. Transfer to a bowl.
Add the remaining 1 1/2 teaspoons oil to the pan. Add broccoli and the remaining 1/8 teaspoon salt; cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Add water, cover and cook until the broccoli is crisp-tender, about 3 minutes. Transfer to the bowl with the shrimp.
Add the reserved clam juice mixture to the pan and cook, stirring, over medium-high heat, until thickened, 3 to 4 minutes. Stir in basil (or parsley) and season with lemon juice and pepper. Add the shrimp and broccoli; heat through. Serve immediately, with lemon wedges.
- Serving: Per serving
- Calories: 178
- Carbohydrates: 6g
- Fat: 6g
- Protein: 25g
- Dietary Fiber: 2g
- Saturated Fat: 1g
- Monounsaturated Fat: 3g
- Cholesterol: 172mg
- Potassium: 459mg
- Sodium: 520mg
- Exchanges: 1 vegetable, 3 very lean protein, 1 fat
- Carbohydrate Servings: 1/2