- 3 tablespoon almonds
- 2 tablespoon all-purpose flour, divided
- 2 tablespoon brown sugar, divided
- 3 teaspoons freshly grated orange zest, divided (see Variation)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, divided
- 2 tablespoon canola oil, divided
- 1 cup white whole-wheat flour, or whole-wheat pastry flour (see Note)
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 3/4 cup nonfat or low-fat buttermilk
- 1/4 cup orange juice
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups chopped fresh or frozen (not thawed) strawberries, (about 8 ounces)
Preheat oven to 400°F. Coat a 12-cup muffin pan with cooking spray.
Process almonds, 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour, 2 tablespoons brown sugar, 1 teaspoon orange zest and 1/4 teaspoon salt in a food processor until finely ground. Transfer to a small bowl, drizzle with 2 tablespoons oil and stir to combine.
Whisk the remaining 3/4 cup all-purpose flour, whole-wheat flour, baking powder, baking soda and the remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt in a large bowl. Whisk the remaining 1/2 cup brown sugar, 2 teaspoons orange zest and 1/4 cup oil in a medium bowl with buttermilk, orange juice, egg and vanilla extract until well combined. Make a well in the center of the dry ingredients and pour in the wet ingredients; stir until just combined. Add strawberries; stir just to combine. Divide the batter among the prepared muffin cups. Sprinkle with the almond topping, gently pressing into the batter.
Bake the muffins until golden brown and a wooden skewer inserted in the center comes out clean, 18 to 20 minutes. Let cool in the pan for 10 minutes, then transfer to a wire rack to cool for at least 5 minutes more before serving.
Variation: For Strawberry-Basil Muffins, omit orange zest and use 1/4 cup additional buttermilk in place of orange juice. Stir in 1/4 cup chopped fresh basil with the berries in Step 3.
- Serving: Per muffin
- Calories: 203
- Carbohydrates: 28g
- Fat: 9g
- Protein: 4g
- Dietary Fiber: 2g
- Saturated Fat: 1g
- Monounsaturated Fat: 5g
- Cholesterol: 18mg
- Potassium: 88mg
- Sodium: 314mg
- Exchanges: 1 starch, 1 carbohydrate (other), 2 fat
- Carbohydrate Servings: 2