- 2 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 3/4 cup chopped celery
- 1 tablespoon chopped shallot
- 5 slices whole-wheat country bread, cut into 1/4-inch cubes
- 1/2 teaspoon salt-free poultry seasoning, (see Shopping Tip)
- 1 1/2 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth, divided
- 1 1/2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken thighs, trimmed and cut into 1-inch pieces (see Tip)
- 4 tablespoon all-purpose flour, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 1/2 cups quartered mushrooms, (6 ounces)
- 1/3 cup dry white wine, or dry sherry
Position rack in upper third of oven; preheat broiler.
Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a large ovenproof skillet over medium heat. Add celery and shallot; cook, stirring, until the shallot begins to brown, about 2 minutes. Add bread and poultry seasoning; cook, stirring, until the celery has softened and the bread begins to crisp, 2 to 3 minutes. Transfer the stuffing to a medium bowl and toss with 1/4 cup broth; set aside. Wipe out the pan.
Toss chicken with 2 tablespoons flour, pepper and salt in a large bowl. Whisk the remaining 1 1/4 cups broth with the remaining 2 tablespoons flour in a small bowl and set aside.
Add the remaining 1 tablespoon oil to the pan and heat over medium heat. Add the chicken (shaking off any excess flour) and mushrooms; cook, stirring, until the chicken is cooked through, about 8 minutes.
Increase heat to medium-high; add wine (or sherry) and cook, scraping up any browned bits with a wooden spoon, until almost evaporated, about 2 minutes. Stir in the reserved broth-flour mixture and cook, stirring, until thickened, about 2 minutes more. Spoon the reserved stuffing over the chicken mixture. Transfer the pan to the oven and broil until the stuffing begins to crisp, about 4 minutes.
- Serving: Per serving
- Calories: 401
- Carbohydrates: 27g
- Fat: 17g
- Protein: 30g
- Dietary Fiber: 4g
- Saturated Fat: 4g
- Monounsaturated Fat: 9g
- Cholesterol: 77mg
- Potassium: 515mg
- Sodium: 481mg
- Exchanges: 2 starch, 3 lean meat, 1 1/2 fat
- Carbohydrate Servings: 2