- 1/2 cup finely chopped sweet onion, such as Vidalia or Walla Walla
- 1 medium-large tomato, seeded and diced
- 1/3 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 2 tablespoon minced jalapeño, or serrano pepper
- 2 tablespoon red-wine or cider vinegar
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 3/4 teaspoon paprika
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 3/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon ground pepper
- 2 8- to 10-ounce New York strip (top loin) steaks, trimmed
- 2 teaspoons canola oil
- 2 avocados, pitted and peeled
To prepare Pebre Sauce: Place onion in a medium bowl, cover with ice water and let soak for 10 to 20 minutes. Drain. Combine the onion, tomato, cilantro, jalapeño (or serrano), vinegar, garlic and 1/4 teaspoon salt in a medium bowl.
Preheat oven to 325°F.
To prepare steak: Mix paprika, cumin, oregano, 1/2 teaspoon salt and pepper in a small bowl. Rub the spice mixture evenly over both sides of steaks.
Heat oil in a large ovenproof skillet, such as cast iron, over medium-high. Add the steaks and cook just until browned, 1 to 2 minutes per side. Transfer the pan to the oven and roast the steaks 5 to 7 minutes for medium-rare, depending on thickness. Transfer to a clean cutting board. Tent with foil and let rest for 5 minutes.
Meanwhile, mash avocados with the remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt in a small bowl.
Carve the steak into thin slices. Serve with the avocado and Pebre Sauce.
- Serving: Per serving
- Calories: 344
- Carbohydrates: 13g
- Fat: 23g
- Protein: 25g
- Dietary Fiber: 8g
- Saturated Fat: 4g
- Monounsaturated Fat: 13g
- Cholesterol: 49mg
- Potassium: 899mg
- Sodium: 337mg
- Exchanges: 3 lean meat, 3 fat
- Carbohydrate Servings: 0