- 8 ounces orzo, preferably whole-wheat
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 cup chopped sun-dried tomatoes, (not oil-packed), divided
- 1 plum tomato, diced
- 1 clove garlic, peeled
- 3 teaspoons chopped fresh marjoram, divided
- 1 tablespoon red-wine vinegar
- 2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, trimmed (1-1 1/4 pounds)
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1 9-ounce pa frozen artichoke hearts, thawed
- 1/2 cup finely shredded Romano cheese, divided
Cook orzo in a large saucepan of boiling water until just tender, 8 to 10 minutes or according to package directions. Drain and rinse.
Meanwhile, place 1 cup water, 1/4 cup sun-dried tomatoes, plum tomato, garlic, 2 teaspoons marjoram, vinegar and 2 teaspoons oil in a blender. Blend until just a few chunks remain.
Season chicken with salt and pepper on both sides. Heat remaining 1 tablespoon oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the chicken and cook, adjusting the heat as necessary to prevent burning, until golden outside and no longer pink in the middle, 3 to 5 minutes per side. Transfer to a plate; tent with foil to keep warm.
Pour the tomato sauce into the pan and bring to a boil. Measure out 1/2 cup sauce to a small bowl. Add the remaining 1/4 cup sun-dried tomatoes to the pan along with the orzo, artichoke hearts and 6 tablespoons cheese. Cook, stirring, until heated through, 1 to 2 minutes. Divide among 4 plates.
Slice the chicken. Top each portion of pasta with sliced chicken, 2 tablespoons of the reserved tomato sauce and a sprinkling of the remaining cheese and marjoram.
- Serving: Per serving
- Calories: 457
- Carbohydrates: 54g
- Fat: 12g
- Protein: 36g
- Dietary Fiber: 10g
- Saturated Fat: 3g
- Monounsaturated Fat: 6g
- Cholesterol: 68mg
- Potassium: 546mg
- Sodium: 372mg
- Exchanges: 3 starch, 1 vegetable, 3 lean meat, 1/2 fat
- Carbohydrate Servings: 3