- 1 1-pound lo sourdough bread, crusts removed, cut in 1/2-inch cubes (about 10 cups)
- 1/3 cup pepitas
- 3 teaspoons butter, divided
- 2 tablespoon canola oil, divided
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- 1 small butternut squash, (about 1 1/2 pounds), peeled, halved, seeded and diced
- 8 ounces shiitake mushrooms, stemmed, halved and thinly sliced
- 2 Granny Smith apples, peeled and chopped
- 1/2 cup tequila
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh sage
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth
Preheat oven to 250 degrees F. Place bread on a baking sheet and bake, turning once, until dry and toasty but not browned, 10 minutes.
Increase oven heat to 375 degrees F. Coat a 9-by-13-inch baking dish with cooking spray.
Place pepitas in a small dry skillet over medium-low heat. Toast, stirring occasionally, until lightly brown and fragrant, 3 to 4 minutes. Transfer to a large bowl.
Heat 2 teaspoons butter and 2 teaspoons oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add onion, celery and squash; cook, stirring often, until the onion softens, 4 to 5 minutes. Transfer the vegetables to the bowl with the pepitas.
Return the pan to medium heat; heat the remaining 1 teaspoon butter and 1 teaspoon of the remaining oil. Add mushrooms and apples; cook, stirring frequently, until softened, about 4 minutes. Stir in tequila. (If the contents flame, cover the skillet immediately and set aside for 15 seconds or until the fire is out.) Continue cooking until most of the liquid has evaporated, about 2 minutes. Transfer to the bowl.
Stir the toasted bread cubes, sage, cumin, salt and pepper into the vegetable mixture. Add broth; stir to moisten. Spread into the prepared baking dish and press down without compacting. Drizzle with the remaining 1 tablespoon oil.
Cover the dressing with foil and bake for 20 minutes. Uncover and continue baking until firm and lightly browned, about 25 minutes more.
- Serving: Per serving
- Calories: 232
- Carbohydrates: 32g
- Fat: 6g
- Protein: 6g
- Dietary Fiber: 3g
- Saturated Fat: 1g
- Monounsaturated Fat: 3g
- Cholesterol: 3mg
- Potassium: 298mg
- Sodium: 449mg
- Exchanges: 2 starch, 1 fat (mono)
- Carbohydrate Servings: 2