- 1 1/2 pounds lean boneless leg of lamb, trimmed and cut into 1 1/4-inch pieces
- 1 1/4 teaspoons salt, divided
- Freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 1 1/2 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 2 large onions, thinly sliced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 14-ounce c diced tomatoes
- 1 large all-purpose potato, preferably Yukon Gold, peeled and cut into 3/8-inch-thick slices
- 1/2 pound green beans, trimmed
- 1 small eggplant, cut into 3/8-inch-thick slices
- 1 medium zucchini, cut into 3/8-inch-thick slices
- 6 bay leaves
- 3 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
Season lamb with 1/4 teaspoon salt and pepper to taste. Heat 1/2 tablespoon oil in a large heavy skillet over medium-high heat. Add half the lamb and sear, turning, until well browned, 2 to 4 minutes. Transfer to a 4-quart slow cooker. Add another 1/2 tablespoon oil to skillet and brown remaining lamb. Add to slow cooker.
Add remaining 1/2 tablespoon oil to skillet and reduce heat to medium. Add onions and cook, stirring, until softened, 3 to 5 minutes. Add garlic and oregano; cook, stirring, for 1 minute more. Add tomatoes and bring to a simmer, mashing with a potato masher or fork. Remove from heat and spoon half the mixture over the lamb.
Arrange potatoes in a layer in the pot; season with 1/4 teaspoon salt and pepper to taste. Add green beans, followed by eggplant and zucchini, seasoning each layer with 1/4 teaspoon salt and pepper to taste. Spread remaining tomato-onion mixture over vegetables. Top with bay leaves.
Cover and cook on high until lamb and vegetables are very tender, about 4 hours. Discard bay leaves. Serve hot, garnished with parsley.
- Serving: Per serving
- Calories: 179
- Carbohydrates: 15g
- Fat: 7g
- Protein: 17g
- Dietary Fiber: 5g
- Saturated Fat: 2g
- Monounsaturated Fat: 4g
- Cholesterol: 53mg
- Potassium: 554mg
- Sodium: 466mg
- Exchanges: 2 vegetable, 2 1/2 lean meat
- Carbohydrate Servings: 1