- 1/4 cup distilled white vinegar
- 2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 shallot, minced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 pound zucchini, (about 2 medium), diced
- 12 ounces plum tomatoes, (3-4), diced
- 3 tablespoon thinly sliced fresh basil, divided
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 8 large eggs
- 4 whole-wheat English muffins, split and toasted
- 2 tablespoon freshly grated Parmesan cheese
Fill a large, straight-sided skillet or Dutch oven with 2 inches of water; bring to a boil. Add white vinegar.
Meanwhile, heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add shallot and garlic and cook, stirring, until fragrant, about 1 minute. Stir in zucchini and tomatoes and cook, stirring occasionally, until the zucchini is tender, about 10 minutes. Remove from the heat; stir in 1 tablespoon basil, balsamic vinegar, salt and pepper.
Meanwhile, reduce the boiling water to a gentle simmer; the water should be steaming and small bubbles should come up from the bottom of the pan. Crack each egg into a small bowl and slip them one at a time into the simmering water, taking care not to break the yolks. Cook for 4 minutes for soft set, 5 minutes for medium set and 8 minutes for hard set. Using a slotted spoon, transfer the eggs to a clean kitchen towel to drain.
To serve, top each muffin half with some of the vegetable mixture, an egg, a sprinkling of cheese and the remaining basil.
- Serving: Per serving
- Calories: 329
- Carbohydrates: 31g
- Fat: 14g
- Protein: 22g
- Dietary Fiber: 5g
- Saturated Fat: 4g
- Monounsaturated Fat: 6g
- Cholesterol: 425mg
- Potassium: 570mg
- Sodium: 675mg
- Exchanges: 1 1/2 starch, 1 vegetable, 2 medium-fat meat
- Carbohydrate Servings: 2