- 4 cups stale (but not dry) white bread slices, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 2 large ripe mangoes, peeled (see Tip) and cut into 1/2-inch cubes (3 cups)
- 2 cups fat-free milk
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 2 tablespoon light or dark rum, (optional)
- 1/2 cup packed dark brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black peppercorns
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
Position rack in the center of the oven; preheat to 350ºF. Coat an 8-inch square baking dish with cooking spray.
Toss bread cubes and mangoes together in the baking dish.
Whisk milk, eggs, rum (if using), brown sugar, vanilla, cinnamon, cloves, cardamom, ginger, pepper and salt in a medium bowl. Pour over the bread and mangoes; allow the mixture to soak for about 5 minutes.
Bake the pudding until it is set and a knife inserted in the center comes out clean, about 1 1/4 hours. Serve warm for best flavor.
- Serving: Per serving
- Calories: 164
- Carbohydrates: 34g
- Fat: 2g
- Protein: 6g
- Dietary Fiber: 2g
- Saturated Fat: 0g
- Monounsaturated Fat: 1g
- Cholesterol: 54mg
- Potassium: 228mg
- Sodium: 180mg
- Exchanges: 1/2 starch, 1/2 fruit, 1 other carbohydrate
- Carbohydrate Servings: 2