- 4 sun-dried tomatoes, (not packed in oil)
- 1 1/2 cups vegetable broth, or water
- 1/2 cup millet, rinsed (see Ingredient note)
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 6 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 3 cups lightly packed baby spinach, stems trimmed
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- Olive Ketchup, optional (recipe follows)
- 1/2 cup crumbled feta cheese
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh basil
- 2/3 cup fine dry breadcrumbs
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 7 whole-wheat English muffins, or whole-wheat buns
- Arugula & sliced tomatoes, for garnish
Place sun-dried tomatoes in a small saucepan and cover with water. Bring to a boil. Remove from heat and let soak until softened, about 30 minutes. Drain and finely chop; set aside.
Meanwhile, bring broth (or water) to a boil in a medium saucepan. Stir in millet and salt; return to a boil. Reduce heat to low, cover and simmer until the millet is tender and liquid is absorbed, 25 to 30 minutes. Let stand, covered, for 10 minutes. Fluff with a fork; transfer to a plate to cool to room temperature, about 20 minutes.
While the millet cooks, heat 2 teaspoons oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add onion and cook, stirring often, until softened and light brown, 5 to 7 minutes. Gradually stir in spinach; cover and cook, stirring, until the spinach is wilted, 30 to 60 seconds. Add garlic and cook, stirring, until fragrant, about 1 minute more. Transfer to a plate; let cool for about 10 minutes.
Prepare Olive Ketchup, if using.
Place the millet in a food processor and pulse to mix lightly. Add the spinach mixture and pulse until coarsely chopped. Transfer to a large bowl; stir in the feta, basil, breadcrumbs, pepper and the reserved sun-dried tomatoes; mix well.
With dampened hands, form the mixture into seven 1/2-inch-thick patties, using about 1/2 cup for each.
Using 2 teaspoons oil per batch, cook 3 to 4 patties at a time in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat until browned and heated through, about 4 minutes per side. Toast English muffins (or buns). Garnish the burgers with arugula, tomatoes and Olive Ketchup, if desired.