- 2 cups instant brown rice
- 1/4 cup seasoned rice vinegar
- 2 tablespoon reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 2 tablespoon cornstarch
- 2 tablespoon apricot preserves
- 2 tablespoon canola oil, divided
- 1 pound chicken tenders, cut into bite-size pieces
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 teaspoons finely grated or minced ginger
- 1 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 6 cups bite-size pieces of vegetables, such as snow peas, broccoli and bell peppers
- 1 5-ounce ca sliced water chestnuts, drained
Prepare rice according to the package directions.
Meanwhile, whisk vinegar, soy sauce, cornstarch and apricot preserves in a small bowl. Set aside.
Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add chicken and cook, undisturbed, for 2 minutes. Continue cooking, stirring occasionally, until no longer pink on the outside and just starting to brown in spots, about 2 minutes more. Transfer to a plate.
Add the remaining 1 tablespoon oil, garlic and ginger to the pan and cook, stirring, until fragrant, 20 to 30 seconds. Add broth and bring to a boil, stirring constantly. Add vegetables, reduce heat to a simmer, cover and cook until the vegetables are tender-crisp, 4 to 6 minutes. Stir in water chestnuts and the chicken. Whisk the reserved sauce and add to the pan. Simmer, stirring constantly, until the sauce is thickened and the chicken is heated through, about 1 minute. Serve with the rice.
- Serving: Per serving
- Calories: 469
- Carbohydrates: 62g
- Fat: 10g
- Protein: 34g
- Dietary Fiber: 7g
- Saturated Fat: 1g
- Monounsaturated Fat: 4g
- Cholesterol: 68mg
- Potassium: 408mg
- Sodium: 709mg
- Exchanges: 2 starch, 3 vegetable, 4 lean meat
- Carbohydrate Servings: 3 1/2