- 4 plum tomatoes, seeded and chopped
- 1/2 cup diced red onion
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1 egg, plus 1 egg white
- 1/2 cup plain dry breadcrumbs
- 1/4 cup grated Pecorino Romano, or Parmesan cheese plus 1/4 cup shaved (see Tip), divided
- 2 tablespoon minced fresh parsley, (optional)
- 1 pound cube steak, cut into 4 portions
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper, divided
- 6 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 4 cups baby arugula, chopped
- 3/4 cup thinly sliced fresh basil leaves
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice, plus lemon wedges for garnish
Combine tomatoes, onion and 1/4 teaspoon salt in a large bowl.
Whisk egg and egg white in a shallow dish. Combine breadcrumbs, grated cheese and parsley (if using) in another shallow dish. Season steak with the remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Dip each piece into the egg, allowing excess to drip off into the dish, then dip in the breadcrumb mixture and turn to coat.
Heat 2 teaspoons oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add the steaks and cook until golden brown on the first side, about 3 minutes. Turn the steaks over, add 1 teaspoon oil and cook until the steaks are cooked through, 3 to 4 minutes more. Transfer to a plate; tent with foil to keep warm.
Add 1/4 cup shaved cheese to the tomato mixture. Add the remaining 1/4 teaspoon pepper, the remaining 3 teaspoons oil, arugula, basil and lemon juice; toss to combine. Serve the steaks on beds of the arugula-tomato salad. Garnish with lemon wedges.
- Serving: Per serving
- Calories: 349
- Carbohydrates: 14g
- Fat: 17g
- Protein: 35g
- Dietary Fiber: 2g
- Saturated Fat: 5g
- Monounsaturated Fat: 6g
- Cholesterol: 136mg
- Potassium: 349mg
- Sodium: 581mg
- Exchanges: 1/2 starch, 1 vegetable, 4 medium-fat meat
- Carbohydrate Servings: 1