- 12 ounces whole-wheat penne
- 1 2-ounce pi capicola, or pancetta, finely diced (see Tip)
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1/2 cup vodka
- 1 28-ounce c crushed tomatoes
- 1/4 cup half-and-half
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1/4-1 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh basil
- Freshly ground pepper, to taste
Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Cook penne until just tender, 12 minutes or according to package directions.
Meanwhile, cook capicola (or pancetta) in a large saucepan over medium heat until crisp, about 4 minutes. Drain on a paper towel.
Return the saucepan to medium-low heat; add onion and garlic and cook until the onion is translucent, about 1 minute. Increase heat to high; add vodka and bring to a boil. Boil until reduced by about half, about 2 minutes. Stir in tomatoes, half-and-half, Worcestershire sauce and crushed red pepper to taste; reduce to a simmer and cook until thickened, about 10 minutes.
Drain the pasta; serve topped with the sauce and sprinkled with the capicola (or pancetta), basil and pepper.
- Serving: Per serving
- Calories: 311
- Carbohydrates: 47g
- Fat: 3g
- Protein: 11g
- Dietary Fiber: 5g
- Saturated Fat: 1g
- Monounsaturated Fat: 1g
- Cholesterol: 9mg
- Potassium: 517mg
- Sodium: 264mg
- Exchanges: 3 starch, 1 vegetable
- Carbohydrate Servings: 3