- 1 1/2 cups whole-wheat pastry flour, (see Note)
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup poppy seeds,, toasted (see Tip)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup buttermilk, (see Tip)
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoon freshly grated lemon zest
- 2 tablespoon lemon juice
- 2 large eggs, at room temperature (see Tip)
- 2 large egg whites, at room temperature
- 1 1/4 cups sugar
- 3/4 cup confectioners’ sugar, plus more for dusting
- 1 tablespoon water
Preheat oven to 350°F. Coat a 12-cup Bundt pan, preferably nonstick, with cooking spray and dust with flour (or use cooking spray with flour).
Whisk whole-wheat flour, all-purpose flour, poppy seeds, baking powder, baking soda and salt in a medium bowl. Combine buttermilk, oil, vanilla, lemon zest and lemon juice in a glass measuring cup.
Beat eggs, egg whites and sugar in a large bowl with an electric mixer on high speed until thickened and pale, about 5 minutes.
Fold the dry ingredients into the egg mixture with a rubber spatula, a third at a time, alternating with 2 additions of the buttermilk mixture. Scrape the batter into the prepared pan, spreading evenly.
Bake the cake until the top springs back when touched lightly and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean, 35 to 40 minutes. Let cool in the pan for 5 minutes, then turn out onto a wire rack.
To prepare glaze: Sift 3/4 cup confectioners’ sugar into a small bowl; mix with lemon juice and water to create a thin glaze. Poke 1-inch-deep holes all over the cake with a skewer. Coat the warm cake with the glaze using a pastry brush. Let cool completely. To serve, set the cake on a serving plate and dust with confectioners’ sugar.
- Serving: Per serving
- Calories: 215
- Carbohydrates: 38g
- Fat: 6g
- Protein: 5g
- Dietary Fiber: 2g
- Saturated Fat: 1g
- Monounsaturated Fat: 2g
- Cholesterol: 27mg
- Potassium: 271mg
- Sodium: 146mg
- Exchanges: 2 1/2 other carbohydrates
- Carbohydrate Servings: 2 1/2