- 8 ounces 90%-lean ground beef
- 1 teaspoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 medium carrots, chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 stalk celery, chopped
- 6 ounces cremini, or baby bella mushrooms, wiped clean and coarsely chopped (2 cups)
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 28-ounce c diced tomatoes, (not drained)
- 1/2 cup dry red wine
- 1-2 teaspoons fennel seeds, crushed
- Large pinc crushed red pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon salt, or to taste
- 12 ounces whole-wheat fusilli, or rotini
- 2 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley, (optional)
- 6 tablespoon freshly grated Parmesan cheese, (optional)
Cook beef in a large skillet over medium-high heat, breaking it up with a wooden spoon, until browned, 4 to 5 minutes. Transfer to a strainer or colander and drain off fat.
Heat oil in the skillet over medium-high heat. Add carrots, onion and celery; cook, stirring occasionally, until the onion softens and begins to brown, 4 to 5 minutes. Add mushrooms and garlic; reduce heat to medium and cook, stirring occasionally, until the mushrooms begin to soften, 3 to 4 minutes.
Add tomatoes and mash with a potato masher. Add wine, fennel seeds, crushed red pepper, salt and the meat; bring to a simmer. Reduce heat to low; cover and cook, stirring occasionally, until the sauce is slightly thickened and the flavors have developed, about 30 minutes.
Meanwhile, bring a large pot of lightly salted water to a boil. Cook pasta until just tender, 9 to 11 minutes or according to package directions. Drain and toss with the sauce. Sprinkle with parsley, if desired. Pass Parmesan separately, if using.
- Serving: Per serving
- Calories: 318
- Carbohydrates: 55g
- Fat: 3g
- Protein: 17g
- Dietary Fiber: 9g
- Saturated Fat: 1g
- Monounsaturated Fat: 1g
- Cholesterol: 23mg
- Potassium: 418mg
- Sodium: 213mg
- Exchanges: 3 starch, 1 vegetable, 1 lean protein
- Carbohydrate Servings: 3