- 24 whole jarred mild or sweet cherry peppers, (from 2 16-ounce jars; see Shopping Tip)
- 1 6-ounce ca chunk light tuna packed in water, drained well
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon capers, rinsed and finely chopped
- 2 anchovy fillets, finely chopped (optional)
- Freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
Select 24 whole peppers. (Refrigerate any remaining peppers in a jar, with brine to cover, for another use.) Cut off and discard the pepper stems. Scoop out the seeds with a small spoon (a measuring teaspoon works well). Rinse the peppers to remove any residual seeds, and set in a colander to drain.
Combine tuna, lemon juice, oil, capers and anchovies (if using) in a medium bowl.
Fill each pepper with about 1 teaspoon of the tuna mixture and place them on a serving plate. (Depending on the size of the peppers, you may not fill all 24.) Grind some pepper over the stuffed peppers.
Bring vinegar to a boil in a very small saucepan and simmer until syrupy and reduced to about 2 teaspoons, 3 to 3 1/2 minutes. Drizzle the syrup over the peppers.
- Serving: Per 2-pepper serving
- Calories: 42
- Carbohydrates: 2g
- Fat: 2g
- Protein: 4g
- Dietary Fiber: 1g
- Saturated Fat: 0g
- Monounsaturated Fat: 1g
- Cholesterol: 9mg
- Potassium: 6mg
- Sodium: 293mg
- Exchanges: 1/2 lean meat
- Carbohydrate Servings: 0