- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 large red onions, sliced (see Kitchen Tip)
- 2 tablespoon water
- 2 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup low-fat milk
- 2 large eggs
- 2 large egg whites
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1/4 cup crumbled goat cheese
- 1 cup balsamic vinegar
- 2 teaspoons honey
Heat olive oil in a large cast-iron or ovenproof nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Reduce heat to medium, add onions and cook, stirring occasionally, until they are tender and light golden brown, 15 to 20 minutes.
Stir in water and thyme, scraping up any browned bits.
Meanwhile, position rack in middle of oven; preheat to 450°F.
Blend flour, milk, eggs, egg whites, canola oil, sugar, salt and pepper in a blender until smooth. Pour the batter over the onions. Sprinkle with cheese.
Bake the pancake until puffed and golden, about 15 minutes.
Meanwhile, combine vinegar and honey in a small saucepan. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat and cook until syrupy and reduced to 1/3 cup, 12 to 15 minutes. (Watch carefully during the last few minutes to prevent burning.) Cut the pancake into wedges and serve immediately with the balsamic syrup.
- Serving: Per main-dish serving
- Calories: 295
- Carbohydrates: 38g
- Fat: 12g
- Protein: 11g
- Dietary Fiber: 2g
- Saturated Fat: 3g
- Monounsaturated Fat: 6g
- Cholesterol: 112mg
- Potassium: 247mg
- Sodium: 269mg
- Exchanges: 2 starch, 1 vegetable, 1 medium-fat meat, 1 fat
- Carbohydrate Servings: 2 1/2