- 2 cups thinly sliced fresh or frozen (not thawed) rhubarb
- 1/3 cup water
- 2 boneless duck breasts, (about 1 pound total; see Ingredient Note), skin removed
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper, divided
- 1 cup sugar snap peas
- 1 tablespoon walnut oil, or canola oil
- 2 teaspoons honey
- 1 teaspoon balsamic vinegar
- 4 cups baby romaine lettuce, or mixed salad greens
- 1 cup sliced fresh strawberries
- 3 tablespoon chopped toasted pecans, (see Tip)
Bring rhubarb and water to a simmer in a small saucepan over medium-high heat. Cover, reduce heat to low, and simmer for 5 minutes. Uncover and continue simmering for 7 minutes more. Pour the rhubarb into a fine-mesh strainer set over a large bowl. Set aside to drain, collecting the rhubarb juice in the bowl.
Preheat grill to medium or place a grill pan over medium heat.
Season duck breasts with 1/4 teaspoon each salt and pepper. Oil the grill rack (see Tip) or coat the grill pan with cooking spray. Grill the duck, turning once, until an instant-read thermometer inserted into the thickest part registers 150°F for medium, 4 to 8 minutes per side, depending on the thickness. Transfer to a clean cutting board and let rest for 5 minutes.
Meanwhile, bring 1 inch of water to a boil in a small saucepan. Add sugar snaps; cook for 1 minute. Drain and rinse under cold water until room temperature.
Discard the rhubarb solids in the strainer. Whisk oil, honey, vinegar and the remaining 1/4 teaspoon each salt and pepper into the rhubarb juice. Reserve 2 tablespoons of the dressing.
Toss lettuce, strawberries and the sugar snaps with the dressing in the large bowl. Slice the duck; divide the salad between 2 plates and top with the sliced duck. Drizzle the salads with the reserved dressing and garnish with pecans.
- Serving: Per serving
- Calories: 391
- Carbohydrates: 26g
- Fat: 20g
- Protein: 28g
- Dietary Fiber: 8g
- Saturated Fat: 3g
- Monounsaturated Fat: 8g
- Cholesterol: 87mg
- Potassium: 1025mg
- Sodium: 668mg
- Exchanges: 1 fruit, 2 vegetable, 3 lean meat, 3 fat
- Carbohydrate Servings: 1