- 20-24 bay leaves
- 1 clove garlic, crushed and peeled
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 3 tablespoon lemon juice
- 3 tablespoon dry white wine
- 1 1/2 tablespoon chopped fresh oregano, or 1 1/2 teaspoons dried
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- Freshly ground pepper to taste
- 1 1/4 pounds tuna steak, trimmed of skin and any dark portions, cut into 1 1/4 inch cubes
- Lemon wedges for garnish
Cover bay leaves with water in a bowl; let soak for 30 minutes.
Mash garlic with salt with the side of a chef’s knife. Transfer to a small bowl and whisk in lemon juice, wine, oregano, oil and pepper. Measure out 3 tablespoons and reserve for basting. Place tuna in a shallow glass dish and pour the remaining marinade over it, turning to coat. Cover and marinate in the refrigerator for 20 to 30 minutes, turning often.
Meanwhile, preheat grill.
Thread the marinated tuna onto skewers, placing a soaked bay leaf between each piece of fish. Oil the grill rack (see Tip). Grill the souvlaki, covered, turning several times and basting the browned sides with the reserved marinade, until the tuna is opaque in the center, 8 to 12 minutes. Serve with lemon wedges.
- Serving: Per serving
- Calories: 243
- Carbohydrates: 2g
- Fat: 5g
- Protein: 43g
- Dietary Fiber: 0g
- Saturated Fat: 1g
- Monounsaturated Fat: 3g
- Cholesterol: 82mg
- Potassium: 839mg
- Sodium: 207mg
- Exchanges: 6 lean meat, 1 fat
- Carbohydrate Servings: 0